Friday, May 4, 2012

March Newsletter

“Thank you so much for these good friends and a chance to rest from school and have fun together,” one student finished her prayer. She had joined us at a friend’s house in Waikoloa for our spring break retreat. She now sat on the couch sandwiched between Amanda and Kimiyo, but she was a student most of us had met only once.

Early in the semester my team set spring break aside to train students who wanted to lead. We planned seminars that would challenge them to share their faith and lead Bible studies. Originally eight students planned to come, but by the time we arrived in Waikoloa that number had dwindled to two. Hearing this one student’s thankful prayer I realized I had the wrong perspective about the few students, but I still wondered what God had planned for the week.

The next day I went to the beach with this student to ask people if they wanted to hear the gospel. As she began initiating conversations she would ask me questions afterward. Should I ask what they believe? What do I say if they say they already know the gospel? I was surprised at her eagerness.

It was near the end of the week that I finally heard from this girl why she had come on our spring break trip. Circumstances in her life had left her needing Christian community. From her first conversation when she met Nikki on campus, we were an answer to prayer.

Returning from the spring break trip I realized that God had truly blessed us through it. God answered the student's prayer, and all of us were given time to rest and be encouraged by each other before a busy end to the semester.

Thank you for your help in reaching students and equipping them to fulfill the great commission.

                                    -Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment