Wednesday, December 28, 2011

December Newsletter


                 “This last day of waiting,” Albert texted me, “is so intense.” I knew exactly the nervousness he meant. Within 24 hours we would know if a path was opened to Japan or if we would go to Hawaii. An email soon came saying that our liaison had talked with the Japanese Immigration Office. After 4 months of waiting a decision had been made on our visas, but we would not know the result for another day. This was a huge answer to prayer; we could move forward sure that God had opened or closed the door.
                I sat wrapped in a blanket on a conference call with the team when our months of waiting came to an end. Our visas to Japan were denied. It was a huge disappointment to all of us. Our hearts had touched by the needs in Tokyo and a love of the culture. I think we all wondered what God could accomplish by sending us to Hilo, Hawaii. You can read more about our leadership’s decision in the letter from Shane on the back. In the midst of my life and ministry being clearly re-routed by God, I found myself doubting His care for my heart.
                Arijaan scrambled to buy plane tickets for us, the team met in LA for a few days of planning, and not even a week had passed before we were on a plane to Hilo, the big island. We were met at the airport by Lehua and Mat, two students at the University of Hawaii - Hilo, who draped us in leis (picture on the left). They offered to drive all of us and our baggage to an inn which Neil, the owner, had offered at a great rate for the week. Our coming here continues to be blessed by God.
                The next day I wrote in my journal, “I wondered not if God would use us – it was clear He had something in mind – but if He cared for me aside from my position as leader and servant. With that doubt in my heart, I find there is no fitter land for God to show me the opposite is true and woo me with His love.” The island evidences God in its natural beauty, but the work of the gospel is far from done.
                Pray that the current mesh of Asian and New Age religions holding the islands be overtaken by the Kingdom of God. Pray for us as we navigate a highly spiritual but ungodly culture. I praise God that He has planned and directed our steps, and thank you for your partnership in sharing the gospel. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
                                                                                -Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment